Friday, October 26, 2012

Rice Pudding

This was a request from my sister Stacy.  You know when you just get a hankering (is that even a word?) for something and it just nags at you till you have it?  Well, she had that and I made her some so she'd satisfy that need.  And it turned out so well.  The raisins just give it a little pop that rounds it out nicely.



Funny story while making this.  When I printed the recipe, I forgot to copy/paste the third part.  So I was flying blind thinking what kind of recipe just drops off?!  Lol, well....when I went to put this recipe up it dawned on me I completely flubbed up the last part of this recipe! /blush.  It did turn out well, but I didn't quite do what the third part said to do.  In fact, I don't even remember how I did it.  I just remember thinking the rice was going to start burning to the skillet if I didn't take it out lol.  I did add extra raisins. a little extra sugar, annnnd a little extra rice.  It made 4 of those sized ramekins, so don't think it's going to make a lot.  It's a good recipe, and as a testament to my messing up, you really can't go wrong!




Rice Pudding




Ingredients:


  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/3 cup of uncooked short grain white rice
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup raisins


Directions:


  • In a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring the milk, rice and salt to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20-25 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
  • In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg and brown sugar until well mixed. Add a half cup of the hot rice mixture to the egg mixture, a tablespoon at a time, vigorously whisking to incorporate.
  • Add egg mixture back into the saucepan of rice and milk and stir, on low heat, for 5 to 10 minutes, until thickened, or about 160°F (71°C). Be careful not to have the mixture come to a boil at this point or it will curdle. Stir in the vanilla. Remove from heat and stir in the raisins and cinnamon.


Serve warm or cold.

Yield: Serves 3-4.

Source: Simply Recipes:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...