Thursday, August 16, 2012

Peaches And Cream Pie





While trying to make a recipe the other night, whatever could go wrong did.  First, the strawberries I wanted to use for the pie had been stored in my freezer for a long time.  I assumed they were okay, because hey they looked okay.  But, after they were thawed, they were clearly freezer burnt which definitely was.not.okay. So, we had to toss that idea and decided on Peaches.  That sounded great to us.  Then, we didn't have one of the other ingredients so I ended up making the vanilla pudding from scratch instead of from the box.  Yes, I know, but I wanted to take the easy way out.  It's never easy. Is it.


The result of our experiment (I drug my sister Stacy in on this one) was a refreshing, cool crust less pie that pleased our pallets.  So I thought I'd share the recipe with you.  I hope you enjoy!





Granted, it's not the pretties slice of pie, go me, but you get the idea =)




Peaches And Cream Pie


Ingredients:




  • 2 cups 2% milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 2 cans (4 oz) 100cal sliced peaches, drained
  • 1 small package Peach Flavored Gelatin
  • 1 cup water
  • 8 oz whipped topping


Directions:




  • In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat milk until bubbles start to form at the edges.  In a bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt.  Pour into hot milk, a little at a time, stirring to dissolve.  Continue to cook and stir until the mixture thickens enough to coat your spoon. Do not boil.  Remove from heat, stirring in vanilla and butter.  Put into a bowl and place in refrigerator to cool while you proceed to the next step.
  • For the purpose of this recipe, I wanted to use peaches.  The only thing we had however were canned peaches and I'm happy with the way it turned out.  You could probably use fresh and have it be just as good if you so choose.
  • Open the cans of peaches, drain them, and distribute evenly around the bottom of a 10-inch dish.  In a medium sauce pan, put water and gelatin mix.  Stir well, and bring to a full boil.
  • Take off of stove, and bring out the pudding.  It may not have chilled completely, but don't worry.  Combine the gelatin and pudding, stirring out the lumps, and then pouring over the top of the peaches.
  • Put in refrigerator for between 8-12 hours, then once the base is firm, put the whipped topping on top of the pie.  I saved a few slices of peaches for garnish on the top, but feel free to put as many as you'd like up there.  You may need an extra can of peaches though, just so you know.

Enjoy =)




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...