Sunday, September 16, 2012

Buttermilk Pie

For weeks and weeks my sister has been reminding me not to forget about making a buttermilk pie for her.  When my sister called Friday about visiting on Sunday I made sure to do all the baking on Saturday.  And yep, I made her that buttermilk pie.  I'd never made one before and didn't know what to expect.  And I have to say WOW!  This pie is so good it makes me wonder why I'd never wanted to make it before.  Don't let the word buttermilk fool you.  It is so sweet and creamy, I couldn't tell it was even in there.  Later in the day I made a second buttermilk pie because the other one disappeared so fast and it turned out just as wonderful.  It's a really fast pie to make.  The longest part is waiting for it to come out of the oven.





Buttermilk Pie

Prep time: 20 minutes 
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes 
Servings: 8



  • 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup buttermilk (I used old fashioned Bulgarian Hiland Buttermilk)
  • 1 deep dish pie shell (either your own recipe or store bought)


Instructions:


  • Preheat oven to 400 F degrees
  • Beat the butter and sugar together until light
  • Add the eggs and beat; then beat in vanilla
  • Sift the dry ingredients together and add to the batter alternatively with the buttermilk; beat until smooth
  • Pour into a deep dish pie shell and bake at 400 F degrees for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 F degrees and bake for 50-60 minutes*
  • Pie should turn a nice golden brown and a knife inserted should come out clean





*Put it on in 10 minute increments if it is not done after 1 hour. The crust will burn if you're not careful!

I think this pie is best after its been refrigerated about 10-12 hours.  It was okay warm, but scrumptious cold!


The author of this recipe was named thefensk on food.com posted this recipe sometime in 1999.  I thank you for posting this recipe and am happy to add this to my recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...